Friday, October 06, 2006

Moon Festival/Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's the moon festival right now in Taiwan and I have been receiving a number of small cakes and presents from my students in the last couple weeks. Life has been settling into a normal routine at last and I must say I am getting used to living in Taiwan. Life is less hectic and I think I'll be staying in the same appartment for the time being. I have met a lot of new teachers staying in the School's appartment. It has been interesting to meet the sort of people who are willing to come over here and teach English leaving behind whatever for a life in a foreign land. Aside from expats I've also met a number of Taiwanese who have been very friendly who are interested in learning English and making friends. I'm still getting used to their work attitude which is a lot different from the people I knew in university.

As for the Moon Festival it's a lot like thanksgiving back home, with the major premise being getting together with family and eating a large meal. Today my roommate and I visited Taoyouan just outside of Taipei with one of our Taiwanese friends, we visited his family
and ate a number of BBQ'd foods. I was going to take some pictures but my phone died on me before I could take any of them. There was some really good bean noodles, roasted pork and squid-ka-bobs I'm still feeling stuffed. It was really nice weather wise and we have a few days off till wednesday.

I'm going to the beach tommorow. I'll be sure to take some pictures of that as well.

Holidays are hard when living abroad not being with family and all that. I miss my family and wish I could be home for thanksgiving its one of our bigger traditions at home and I'm sad I'm missing it. Once, again. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: